ELNA Board Members Mike Anderson and Eric Jay have organized a Home Tour fundraiser for ELNA on Saturday, October 13th from 10am-4pm.
Tickets are $20.00 each and can be purchased at: Bon Bon, Cottin’s Hardware, Decade, Lawrence Beer Company
Homes on the drop in, self-guided tour include:
938 Rhode Island
1100 Rhode Island
1016 New York
1146 New York
To volunteer to assist with the tour, or with questions, contact Mike Anderson email@example.com.
1028 Penn is a new single-family residence for a family of five. The slab on grade construction makes up an “H” type plan with the public spaces in the south wing and the private spaces in the north wing. The entryway separates the two wings and also acts as a passageway from front to back, connecting to a small patio on the east side of the house. The entry and adjacent hallway have floor to ceiling windows and doors to allow an abundance of east and south light.
The main level of the south wing is for gathering, cooking and dining. Above the the kitchen is a small loft that includes an office, bathroom, and kids’ play area. The kids’ play area is open to the vaulted living room below and allows for the adults to have an ear on the kids while they play. The north wing is mostly for sleeping and bathing, and consists of a a master suite, two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a mudroom, which includes the laundry and mechanical equipment.
A main goal for the design was to create an efficient living space while being conscious about it not feeling cramped for the family, who downsized in space from their previous house. The design aesthetic is a modern farmhouse. The main south facade is a simple gable offset with a shallow pitched shed roof to the north. An even shallower pitched shed roof separates and opposes the others and covers the entry.
The south wing is slightly shifted in front of the north, creating a space for the front porch. The exterior lines are clean and simple, and the forms are balanced by the dark & light color scheme. Exterior materials include cedar, metal, cement board, and titanium. Interior finishes include white oak flooring, custom cabinetry, reclaimed yellow pine accents, plate steel accents, re-purposed maple accents and countertops, Quartz countertops, concrete tiles, and re-purposed printing press plates.
It was first built in the late 1800’s. In the past it has been used as a meat and butcher shop, a neighborhood grocery store, and then later a Freeman’s Furniture Store. The commercial space has now been converted to Static Hair Salon. The two apartments to the west of the Salon, one ground floor, the other upstairs, were completely rehabbed with all new hardwood floors, new kitchens and baths. Solar panels were installed for the benefit of our tenants, which provides them lower electric bills. An engineer was consulted and the foundation and support beams were brought up to code, stabilizing the building. Many new and modern features have been added. A beautiful stonewall was built to the south in addition to much needed landscaping.
1100 Rhode Island
This site originally served as both home and business for Rhody Delahunty, a first generation immigrant driven from his starving Irish homeland during mid-nineteenth century famine. He purchased two plots on Rhode Island St., the “Merchant’s Row” of Lawrence, where he built his two story home. He ran a transfer and storage company out of a barn on the property. In a time before mass-produced automobiles, this was an essential business for a town, and Delahunty moved everything from butchered meat to surveying and construction equipment for establishing Old Fraser Hall atop Mount Oread. When Rhody died, his son, Tom Delahunty, took over and mechanized the business. He claimed to have had the first truck to move cargo throughout the streets of 1920 Lawrence. The Delahunty property changed to reflect this, with the demolition and replacement of a stable by a large truckshed sometime before 1927. Besides the construction of a rear service porch, also in the 1920’s, the house had no alteration and its historical integrity remains intact.
Following the retirement of Tom Delahunty, the property changed hands, first to the Swartzman family and then to Raymond F. Barland. Barland was the local Packard dealer in Lawrence, and after its closing, Barland used the Rhode Island property as a salvage yard specializing in old Packard parts. Falling into disrepair, the site was later purchased through eminent domain by the city of Lawrence following condemnation. The property was bought from the City in 2014 and rehabilitated by Hernly Associates, Inc in 2015. The character of the site is preserved with numerous examples of exposed materials from the original construction, notably the structural beams used in the garage. Currently a sculpture with the moniker “The Packard” done by a local artist is featured on the site, incorporating and paying homage to the past of the building with automobile parts. The site is currently part of the North Rhode Island Residential Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places, and is listed as a landmark on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places.
938 Rhode Island
The Ludington-Brown House, was built by 1860. A major renovation completed in 2016 removed the 1913 two-story addition, a front porch, and metal siding and rebuilt the front wall to highlight the original brick construction, restoring the original house and the 1870 addition. The house and Rueben Ludington and his family survived Quantrell’s raid. The house survived the raid because it was built of brick. Ludington survived because he was out of town purchasing supplies on the day of the raid. Shortly after the raid, Ludington was selected to be the replacement Mayor and moved with his family to 1613 Tennessee. John S. Brown and his family moved into 938 RI in November of 1863. Brown served as a county superintendent, secretary of the City of Lawrence, pastor of the Unitarian Church, and a leader in the farming community.
1016 New York
1016 New York is located on Lot 102 on New York Street in the original Townsite Plat of Lawrence filed with the Register of Deeds on April 5, 1860. The plat was destroyed by fire August 21, 1863.
The original sandstone structure was built in 1869 by Worthy Bailey, who owned the property from 1864 to 1875. The Lawrence Republican Journal described him as a “dresser of stone” and stated that he was “putting up a stone building on New York Street in the southeast portion of the City which will cost $2,000.” The initial structure measured 28’ x 18’. A 13’ x 16’ limestone stone kitchen addition was later constructed along the east elevation.
The property sat vacant from 1976 until May of 1983 when the City Minimum Structures Board of Appeals found the house “unsafe “ and “unfit for human use or habitation” It was scheduled to be demolished. Lance Burr purchased the property in October of 1983, essentially saving the house from demolition. During the time he was rehabbing the property he added an addition to the south elevation.
The current owners purchased the property from the Lance Burr estate in 2015 and have subsequently remodeled the property.
1146 New York
Unique contemporary design, 4-bedroom home by David Clemente, a Lawrence homebuilder/designer for 37 years. The house features the following:
• Treed lot
• The dramatic vaulted ceilings in the open great room/kitchen have high south facing clerestory windows that fill the space with light and offer tree top views
• Wood burning fireplace in great room
• All main level living spaces have vaulted ceilings
• Pantry in kitchen
• Granite countertops in kitchen and all baths
• Main level master bedroom suite features a walk-in shower and large walk-in closet
• Main level Laundry connects to master closet
• 2nd bedroom/study on main floor with adjacent full bath
• Energy efficient low E windows with argon gas
• R 49 ceilings
• Lower level features:
• 2 bedrooms, with adjacent full bathroom
• Rec room with wet bar
• Storage room
• Tiled bath/showers
Powered by Facebook Comments